L2 Business BTEC
Studying Business will prepare you for virtually any career by equipping you with financial understanding, organisational ability, marketing knowledge and communication skills to present your ideas logically and clearly. The principles of business underpin every shop, office and organisation in the UK economy, ensuring you will have expertise valued by employers in all sectors.
"I'm convinced that about half of what separates the successful entrepreneurs from the non-successful ones is pure perseverance" - Steve Jobs
On this course you will study 4 units:
- Enterprise in the Business World (Core Unit) – you will investigate starting your own business. You will create a business plan and resources to pitch your idea.
- Finance for Business (Core Unit) – you will learn how to prepare key financial documents and understand how they are used to monitor performance.
- Promoting a Brand – you will study a number of promotional techniques and then create a promotional campaign for a new rollercoaster at Flamingo Land.
- Recruitment and Selection – you will learn how businesses are structured so that people can do their jobs effectively, and the recruitment and selection process applicants must follow when applying for a job.
In the two core units, you will develop the key enterprise and financial skills and knowledge necessary to enable you to understand how businesses recognise opportunities and build on them to succeed. You will discover how a business makes and manages its money and plans for the future. The optional specialist units cover topics including branding and promotion, customer service, sales, retail business, recruitment and career development and business support.
The Level 2 First in Business provides an excellent foundation for study in Sixth Form or to entry-level job roles within any industry. Achievement at Level 2 provides a solid grounding for the Level 3 BTEC National in Business which is varied and covers specialist topics such as: Business Finance; e-Business Strategy; Human Resources; Business Law; Management and Marketing. Students can then progress to university and roles in specialist areas such as marketing, finance, customer service or human resources in large organisation or a more general role in a small local business.
The course is 75% coursework with only Unit 2 being assessed by an examination.
- nqf btec level 2 first award in business
Exam board website
- You will be assessed through internally assessed coursework (75%) - using a range of diverse activities including assignment and project work, case studies, role play and presentations.
- External assessment (25%) - One core unit is externally assessed using an on-screen test.
- The BTEC First in Business is a Level 2 qualification, graded at Pass, Merit, Distinction and Distinction*.
Ways to help my child succeed
You will need the ability to think for yourself. You will also have to be self-motivated, organised, complete work thoroughly and have an excellent attendance record. You will need to research businesses, complete assignments, watch the news and regularly read newspapers (especially the business section). Other than the usual equipment, a memory stick to back-up your coursework would be useful. To further your vocational experience, you will have the opportunity to participate in a range of activities organised by you and your subject teachers, such as Young Enterprise and the Big Deal. These provide excellent opportunities to deepen your understanding of business as well as develop problem-solving, creativity and teamworkign skills.
Useful websites and Resources
- BTEC first Business student book isbn 978 1 446901 36 6
- CGP BTEC first Business - study and exam practice guide isbn 978 1 84762 473 4